- 2018-10-17 On 17 October at 10.00 a.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius is taking part in a meeting of the Seimas Committee on Foreign Affairs
- 2018-10-17 On 17 October at 1.00 p.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius is taking part in a Government meeting and sitting
- 2018-10-17 to 2018-10-18 On 17-18 October, the Vice-Minister Albinas Zananavičius is attending the European Council in Brussels, as part of the delegation led by the President of Lithuania
- 2018-10-17 On 17 October at 11.00 a.m., the Vice-Minister Neris Germanas is meeting with members of the Greek-Lithuanian Parliamentary Friendship Group
- 2018-10-18 On 18 October at 9.00 a.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius is welcoming participants of the Eastern Partnership Youth seminar at the Foreign Ministry
Lithuania’s Foreign Minister receives the President of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences
On 25 January, the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Lithuania Linas Linkevičius received the President of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, the former President of the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, Dr. Jonathan Fanton, who was visiting Lithuania.
In the meeting with one of the world’s leading experts in higher education, Linkevičius discussed the support of the U.S. non-governmental organizations and foundations for education and the strengthening of civil society in Eastern Europe. The meeting also focused on threats to academic freedom and freedom of expression as well as to institutional autonomy of higher education in some countries that were once annexed by the Soviet Union.
Particular attention was paid to the smooth functioning of the Vilnius-based European Humanities University (EHU). Lithuania’s Foreign Minister thanked the guest for his support for EHU’s activities since the university went into exile in 2005. Linkevičius also highlighted its important role in providing high quality Western education to Belarusian students and, thus, in contributing to the strengthening of the Belarusian civil society.
“We will do our best to enable EHU to continue to function successfully in Vilnius as an independent Belarusian university in exile,” said Linkevičius.
The American Academy of Arts and Sciences is one of the oldest and most authoritative non-governmental institutions in the United States of America. It was established in 1780.